26 Mar 2020

Tips and tricks for buying baby gear

PS: I wrote this article a long time ago, maybe 2017. Lol. I just found it in my "drafts" and decided to post anyway. So here goes 

Mummies in the house, let's face it, having a baby is expensive and baby items are also expensive.

As a first time mum (whose mum wasn't immediately available before and at the time I had my baby), I was faced with the harsh reality of spending real money shopping for baby gear. Naturally, I wanted my baby to have the best of everything and even though they were pretty pricey, I didn't always blink an eye. But since my eyes are now open (as in, I now know the secret), I've decided to share some tricks for buying baby gear. Ride with me.

Clothing
A V O I D those cute little clothes tagged "newborn". OMG. I literally bought all newborn things in numbersssss. In about two weeks, my baby had outgrown every single one of them! Chai, I couldn't cry. The igbo girl in me wanted to cut open the feet area of the coveralls. (OK, I actually did that with one cute coverall. It turned out to look very awkward and ratchet. After that, I decided to let the rest be. I kept them safe and later on, gave them to a newer mum).

If you must buy the "newborn" clothes, buy very few, and then, buy bigger clothes for your baby. Babies literally grow overnight. My baby hardly even used his "3 months" clothes. The "6 months" clothes were perfect for him at only 2 months old. What a waste!


Shoes
R U N from them. Till your baby turns 10 months or till he/she actually starts walking. Ok, maybe you can buy one when for when you'll need to attend a decent occasion, like your baby's dedication and this is usually when baby is around 3/4 months.

The better alternative is to wear your baby socks. They're absolutely necessary, have diverse use and still cute.


Cribs and bassinets
I think that bassinets are overrated. You do not need a bassinet! Get a regular crib. Bassinets are used for small babies. They can't carry bigger babies, else, they'd crumble. This means you'll still have to buy a crib because your baby will grow, obviously. So, what's the point?


Carriers, car seats and strollers
'Strollers' is in parenthesis because we don't always use them in Nigeria. So, you most probably do not need one. If you do, get one that can double as a car seat.

Car seats are highly advisable because if you have a car, it's safer for your baby to be in the baby car seat. It's important to note that there are different sizes of car seats for different sizes of babies. So, my thought is this - if you'll have to replace it from time to time, why buy the brand new one that costs so much, when you can get a neat pre-owned one? Endeavour to check the expiry date though. It's important that it's fit for use.

Carriers, I think are absolutely necessary, so, invest in a good one. Your subsequent babies can also use them. You can use them up until your baby is about 15 months. When they start getting older, bigger and heavier, it will be stressful for you to carry them in carriers. 


Accessories
Baby girls usually need more accessories than boys. I don't have a baby girl, but from experience, I know that babies are quick to undo things. So, head bands, earrings, wrist bands, wristwatches, should be affordable. There's no need to invest in them. You'll definitely need new ones soon. 


Baby bags
Initially, I had a regular baby bag that looked like a shoulder bag. Regular baby bag, nothing special. I had to change it when it started to develop small tears.

The issue was that I didn't want the same type of bag. Holding it or carrying it on my shoulder always stressed me, especially with the number of things I always went out with. So, one day, I saw a lady with her baby and she had a knapsack. Ting! It hit me. I needed it in my life. Not only was it convenient to carry (picture this - baby in carrier, in front, knapsack at the back), it also had many compartments, I had the option of holding it and it could be re-used for some other purpose. Kikikikiki. I'm not a cheapskate o mbok, we work for our money and I like to get the best value from it. #StretchThatDollar. *rme

I got it. And since then, I've been living the life. I take it anywhere I go with my baby.

Conclusively, if you have to buy a brand new item that costs an arm and a leg, make sure it's durable enough to be handed down to the next baby😁

Do you have other suggestions, let's see them in the comments. 

Love and light!

No comments: