1 Dec 2021

Money Matters

In my experience, women, especially African women, have always shied away from conversations about money, earnings, expenses and investments. We were somehow socialized to think that these were the responsibilities of men. 


But money matters affect everyone equally, regardless of gender. Rising inflation rates currently prevalent affect both men and women. Many women work harder to provide for their families now. The modern Nigerian woman, who knows her onions is a hardworker. Why can't she talk about her money? Why should she be afraid?

I'm excited that more conversations surrounding money matters are rising amongst groups of females. The internet has accelerated growing interests in money matters. A lot of people are informing and enlightening us about expenditures, savings and investments. 

What do you think?

For me, I think we should do more. I'm really interested and involved in the ongoing 'disruptions' in this area. 

To contribute a little to this discourse, I want to share with you some areas you should consider in order to ensure that your income is utilized to the maximum and that no segments are neglected - 

Tithe             

Expenditures    

Emergency

Savings        

Investment    

Personal care 

Parents 

Other major goals eg school fees, rent, etc.

This list is not exclusive. It's just a model that provides an idea of what you should be considering, in relation to how you handle your money. You can accord percentages to selected segments in a way that reflects that the critical parts are receiving sufficient attention, and, for some discipline. 

I hope I've been helpful today. 

Please share your thoughts with me in the comments.

Love always.


Photo credit: iStock

No comments: